The church „St. Marien“ in Marienberg

The city Marienberg was founded in 1521. In April 1558 the foundation stone of the church was laid. Therefore the blockhouse-church, which was build up in 1537 for the evangelical Christians, was removed. St. Marien is the youngest of the 3 late Gothic hall-churches in the Erzgebirge. The two others are St. Wolfgang in Schneeberg and St. Annen in Annaberg. In February 1564 the church was consecrated as the evangelical-lutheran church St. Marien.

The nave is 14 ft (45 m) long, 8 ft (26 m) wide and has 7 arches; the two aisles are equally high. Builder was Wolf Blechschmidt from Pirna, who also did build the church St. Marien in Pirna. The hall shows the late Gothic rib vault from Blechschmidt. The vault is made of sandstone from Grillenburg, maybe Postelwitz. In the former baptistery there is one free rib with a portrait, characteristic of Blechschmidt. In the left atrium of the tower there are the signs of Blechschmidt and most probably of elector August and his wife Anna as well, who endowed the construction. There are signs of other stonemason, too. On the 31th of August 1610 the largest fire in Marienberg destroyed the church and the city. From 1611 to 1616 the church was temporarily rebuild with wooden ceiling, columns and galleries. In 1616 the church services could ministered again and the cross of triumph was cocked, the altar followed in 1617. The baroque altar pieces were created by the electoral painter Chilian Fabritius. You can read on the halter of the donkey: „Damnare potest, qui meliora facit“ (It is allowed to rebuke for them, who can do it better). On the halter of the dog the year date 1616 is to be found. On the predella the Lord’s Supper is shown. On the reredos the burial of Jesus Is depicted, as well as the annunciation of the birth of Jesus on the side pictures.

Two decades after the end of the Thirty Years‘ War the meanwhile poor city did build by public subscription the roof, the baroque vault and three sides of the gallery from 1668 to 1675. This was managed by the electoral council von Klemm, who was buried here in 1674). The chief builder Wolf Caspar von Klengel send Italian plasters, managed by Alexandro Pernasione from Dresden, to Marienberg, who designed the Tuscan stucco and the 25 beautiful heads of angels on the gallery. Only 1879 the ring of galleries was closed by the organ gallery, the carved out faces look different. From 1872 – 1879 the Master Carl Eduard Schubert engineered the organ in the type of Silbermann. It is an excellent mechanical organ with 51 ranks on 3 manuals and pedal with 3158 pipes. The pulpit from about 1620 is a late renaissance work with a fine foot. On the pulpit stairs there are baroque leather ornaments. On the sonic cap from 1896 is written: Everyone who belongs to God hears what God says. John 8, 47). The altar Anna-selbdritt descends from the chapel Fabian Sebastian. These was constructed shortly after the foundation of the city in the near of the Zschopauer Tor. The altar shows the patron saints for the mining Barbara and probably Katharina. They are very oratorical realistic wooden sculptures of an unknown artist about 1520. The outer coating with the patron saints Fabian and Sebastian is almost completely destroyed. The baptismal font of marble from Crottendorf from the year 1860 is a dole from an unknown parish member. The 7 coloured windows were manufactured in 1896 by the company Türcke from Zittau. In this year a large refurbishing and remaking in colours of the nave under the management of Quentin took place. It was completed in February 1897. In 1954 it was painted over with a grey colour. The cenotaph for the person killed in action of the in the first world war was created by the artist Ziegler from Chemnitz in 1924, in his order Mr. Bochmann carved the wooden sculptures. The altar in the vestry is from the 16th century. In April 2001 it could established again after a refurbishment. After founding of a fund society for the salvage of the church in 1991 the roof could be completely renewed, the tower regenerated and the portal restored from 1992 to 1996.

Up to the year 2005 the siding, the „Ratsfenster“ behind the altar, all the other coloured leaded glass windows of the choir and the side naves, the side chapels, the sacristy and the front inner room restored based on the model of Quentin. The capital expenditure of financial resources from subscriptions, the municipality, the „Deutsche Sparkassenstiftung“ and the evangelical Lutheran Episcopal see are about 6.5 million euro. From 2007 to 2008 the restoration shall be completed, but we are still today reliant on your subscriptions. Therefore the society started a fundraising campaign „100 Euro für St. Marien“, everyone who donates one hundred or more Euro will be named in the founder book and get a founder document.

Please help us to preserve and rebuild our house of God.

Much obliged and may God bless you.

ammendedbyanne

zum Seitenanfang